We only have a few more volunteer workdays left before the trail will be ready and open to the public. Come out, see what the buzz is all about before it’s officially open and help make history in Transylvania County! If you or your organization is interested in volunteering we have put together a check list of what you can expect.
- Most of these final workdays will focus on trimming trail, which is as easy as cutting roots out of the finished trail.
- Bring plenty of water and food. Remember you will need to carry it in and your garbage out.
- A light comfortable back pack to carry your personal items, not necessary, but useful.
- Wear work gloves and comfortable shoes. (Hard hats and safety vests will be provided)
- Dress appropriately for the weather and the work. You will get dirty!
- Bring loppers or hand trimmers if you have them. We will have some but may need additional tools depending on the number of people that show up. Remember you will need to carry those in to the site and back out again.
- Please note: There are no rest room facilities.
- 20+ people wanted for each work day.
If working on a community project interests you, and you want to volunteer please contact Todd Branham, with Long Cane Trails, at (828) 606-5107 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We have also setup “Facebook Event Pages” for the workdays and you can respond that you will attend there.
Here is the schedule of the final workdays:
- May 20, 2012 – 1-5:00pm – Finish work
- May 26, 2012 – 9-1:00pm – Finish work – White Squirrel Workday
- June 2, 2012 – 9-1:00pm – Finish work/Trimming Trail – National Trails Day!
- June 9, 2012 – 9-1:00pm – Finish work – tentative
Finish Work/Trimming trail involves using hand clippers and loppers to trim the roots. This requires bending over, sitting or squatting for most of the workday. You’ll also get in a short hike en route to the work spot. Plan to wear comfortable clothes/shoes, a good pair of work gloves and bring plenty of water/snacks for yourself on the trail.